Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Dick Tiger Story

Avatar

stevevandien

May 31st, 2011 at 8:41 am

DT (born Richard Ihetu) was both a terrific fighter and a fine man. By all accounts, he put virtually everyone?s interests ? including those of his family and friends in Nigeria (later Biafra) ? ahead of his own. He went home to die, in poverty, of liver cancer in his 40s ?

Avatar

retroman1019

May 31st, 2011 at 9:20 am

Not only a great boxer but a great human being. For 20 years he owned one suit and lived in a cheap roach infested hotel because he gave his earnings for his country. I wish i could have met him.

Avatar

dowoaje

May 31st, 2011 at 10:21 am

@aragorn742 I did watch Dick Tiger versus Gene Fullmer on black and white TV as a little boy too. It is amazing to see someone about my age who shared almost the the same experience about the same time.

Avatar

dowoaje

May 31st, 2011 at 11:19 am

I remember watching with my late dad one of Dick Tigers?s fights with Gene Fullmer on TV at Pa Solanke Onasanya?s house in the early 1960s. I remember vividly the jubilation and the pride of Nigerians that night when he won. I was a boy of about 7 8 or 9 years old then. Those were the days.

Avatar

DeadMothernature

May 31st, 2011 at 12:17 pm

1. Carlos Monzon
2. Marvin Hagler
3. Dick Tiger
my top three tiger is better than lamotta and fullmer Robinson is on my top 10 but I rank him higher in welterweight

Avatar

Biafrans7

May 31st, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Dick Tiger, world light heavy weight champion has joined the Biafra army. Tiger joined the Biafran army as a Lieutenant. ?I know this is really a forgotten war as far as the rest of the world is concerned, nobody really cares about Africa; nobody in America understands. If we don?t fight back, if we don?t protect our rights, it will be..what?s the word? Genocide, like they did to the Jews. They ?re out to kill us all.? ? Richard Ihetu (Dick Tiger), New York Times. January 31, 1968.

Source: http://ilookfly.com/black-celebs-gossip/the-dick-tiger-story/

Camilla Belle Ana Paula Lemes Alessandra Ambrosio Georgina Grenville Charlize Theron

No comments:

Post a Comment